Monday, June 22, 2015

An Unexpected Kindness: The Sudden Descent of Black Kinch's Legion

There are moments when the kindness and goodness of people leaves me overwhelmed, ridiculously happy, and renewed in my faith in humanity.  

I’ve mentioned here before that Madame Padre and I have some turbulence ahead of us.   Mme. had recent surgery which revealed cancer ( difficult phrase to type), and we are currently waiting for an appointment with an oncologist to conduct an assessment and determine a plan of attack.  We are fortunate in that our impending posting and move (just 15 days now until we take possession of our new house, and 20 until our stuff arrives there) will place us closer to Toronto and its excellent hospitals, so Kay will get the care she needs.  I should say that her spirit is nothing short of indomitable, and she inspires me continuously.

On Friday a mysterious package (the best kind, really) arrived on our doorstep, from Mr. and Mrs. Kinch in Dublin, Ireland.   I suspect they would prefer this to go unacknowledged, but it was a very thoughtful gift of some books on Irish gardens and flowers to solace Mme. during the long months ahead.  These from Mrs. Kinch, and a very kind gift indeed.

Also enclosed were these splendid 28mm figures from CK, who tells me he needs to divest himself of them lest he “have to start a whole 28mm collection”.   Well, I am happy to help him avoid that fate, even if it means opening up my home to “this scabrous pack of dastardly mercenaries”.

I am certainly no expert, but what appear to be Tarleton helmets gives them the look of dismounted dragoons, possibly from the American Wars.  They are splendidly done.

 

The Black Kinch leading his men forward.  I am told that “The history of ‘Black Kinch’, as he was known, is a catalogue of horror, republicanism, bigamy, murder, licentiousness and general misbehaviour.  He was most recently employed by the American rebels, but will take his dollars where he can."

I’m sure that his crimes are such that BK would like to put some distance between himself and the scenes of his crimes.   Fortunately I have a 28mm 18th century Russian army that is recruiting light infantry to seize the Crimea from the Tatar and Ottoman hordes.   Perhaps a fat sack of rubles and the promise of Ottoman plunder will keep his rogues and rascals by his side.   As an added bonus, the green uniforms will fit in well.  Here Captain Smironov and Father Mikhail swear Black Kinch’s Legion into the Czar’s service.

I should get some more of these chaps, if I can find out who manufactures them.  It would be nice to have a whole unit - I can imagine Black Kinch attracting riffraff from Muscovy, thugs from Belgrade, dock sweepings from Naples and the very worst kind of Cossacks to his ranks - provided of course that they are suitably uniformed.  A very kind and welcome gift, so thank you so much, dear Kinches.   I am sure I will have stirring tales of BK on the Steppes to regale you with in the months to come.

MP+

25 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear your news, but one hopes that the cancer has been caught early enough to treatable and result in a complete recovery.

    Our thoughts are with you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary news indeed. All fingers and toes crossed for a quick and happy end to this ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks chaps. It is a bit scary but mostly just the things unknown at this point. Thomas, you must tell me how you learned to cross your toes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here you go, Padre
      http://getitpainted.blogspot.se/2015/06/especially-for-mr-and-mrs-padre.html

      Delete
  4. Scary news indeed. TO does have good hospitals though and a great deal of progress has been made in treatment have been made over recent years.

    My thoughts are with you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it's any consolation the treatment outcomes for cancer are so much better today than say when we were in our twenties; almost a complete reversal of outcomes from death is inevitable to life will prevail. I wish your good wife all the very best, and remember being optimistic always ahs a beneficial effect on treatment outcomes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very much in our thoughts and prayers.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Pat, Ashley and Alan. It is indeed a blessing that the ever increasing pace of science is bringing medicine along for the ride. I am sure we are light years ahead of when our parents dealt with cancer as a near death sentence. Kay's faith is a huge fighter in our corner as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Padre Mike, best wishes for you and Mme. Here's to many well fought scrabble games and years in the new garden.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sincere wishes for a speedy assessment and recovery fore Mme Padre.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is news you don't want to get... I do hope for a positive outcome of this. Fingers and toes crossed (no problem crossing your toes, actually. Must be a Swedish thing) for Mme. and you.
    Do take care and my best wishes to your wife.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll be praying for you both. Please keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Michael & Kay much has been said regarding the advances of medicine but I can attest to the power of the spirit in these matters. Back in the dark days of the 70's my mother outlasted the doctor's pronouncement that she hands mere months to live by the tune of 10 years simply by refusing to give in. In those 10 years she gave birth to two children, chaired numerous community organizations, had a bountiful vegetable garden and saved numerous cats from life on the streets. She lived the life she wanted to live despite the dreaded "C" with a little grit Kay can too.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I find the earless cat very disturbing.

      Delete
  13. Keep up the good fight and stay strong

    ReplyDelete
  14. My best wishes for Mme 's full and speedy recovery...lighting a candle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best wishes for you both...my thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope everything works out okay for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Worrying news, but I hope things turn out well. It is, of course, a great advantage to have a diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know how this slipped past me, but I wish you and especially Kay all the best for successful treatment and recovery. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very sorry to hear this and send you good wishes and positive energy towards Kay's healing.

    On the much lesser matter, apart from not being surprised at said Kinch's generosity, I think you will find that these fellows were recruited from French Revolution French regulars, Foundry wouldn't surprise me but I'm not terribly familiar with 28s. Iir They should serve quite happily as 18th C light infantry.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Best wished to both of you, but especially to Mme! I'm also keeping my toes crossed (must be a European thing).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Best wishes to the both of you during your fight. May you both have the strength to tackle each obstacle coolly and deliberately. I have been in this fight myself and it can be a tough one.

    Great form for Kinch! What a pleasant surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Kinch's seem like some wonderful folk to know and their kindly gestures are inspiring. Those soldiers are going to serve the Tzar rather well I think.

    Much love Padre, to your good lady wife especially, but also for you as I know all too well how hard it is to be a loving husband through testing times as these.

    ReplyDelete
  23. All the best to both of you. I hope the recovery is quick.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers