Monday, January 23, 2017

Barbarian Prince and Champion

I entered this dynamic duo in the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge last week and am finally showing them here.

I ordered these lovely 28mm figures from the UK’s Heresy Miniatures as a Christmas present to me, along with some of their other fantasy figures, and am very pleased with them.  The young chap n the right will be the leader of my force of Wild Men of Dunland, and his friend to the left will be the prince’s pet half-ogre champion.

I found Heresy a pleasant company to deal with, their order was shipped promptly and contained three peppermint humbugs that looked suspiciously like eyes of Sauron.  Creepy.  Their figures are crisply sculpted with a minimum of flash.   The big fellow ships with an assortment of weapons and parts to position in his arms in various positions.  I am a little spatially challenged and so I could not get the arms positioned to mate with the hands sculpted to the two-handed weapons, so I opted for the sword and clenched fist look

In Dragon Rampant terms I think I would count the big fellow as a six Strength Point single figure unit, probably rating him as Bellicose Foot along with the rest of the Dunlendings.

Several other Heresy fantasy figures came with my order and I look forward to getting to them soon.  I am very pleased to have discovered this company.

The barbarian reminds me of a young officer I served with, whose blonde mane of hair was a thing of beauty if somewhat non-regulation, and who could usually be found during the workday in the gym with a protein shake in one hand and a sixty-pound barbell in the other..   I was delighted when he confirmed on Facebook that it was indeed a good likeness.

This completes my Dunlending project, though I may get another pack of eight archers to give me two units of twelve missile troops each.  Here Saruman poses with the graduating class of the Isengard Infantry School, serial 17-1.  

Thank you for looking and blessings to your brushes!

These figures bring my 2017 totals to:

15mm: Vehicles: 3

28mm:  Foot Figures: 31;  Mounted Figures: 2


20 comments:

  1. Very nice!
    Suitably wild and barbaric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. They will give the Rohirrim something to think about.

      Delete
  2. A fitting end to this Dunlending project,they look great and hopefully go into battle soon. The Hersey figures have turned out so well.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan. The Vendel minis are great for filling in the ranks, but these Heresy figures have the character one wants of a leader and champion.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Indeed. A few people on another site thought the he was a she, certainly a nice pair of pectorals.

      Delete
  4. Great work Mike, you are assembling an impressive fantasy force

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Benito, the Wildmen make a nice skirmishing and auxillary force for the hosts of orcs pouring out of the White Tower.

      Delete
  5. A fantastic post, really enjoying these Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like these two very much. It makes sense that leaders of these Dunlending can afford to shave.

    You need to tell us how you painted these swords?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaves and exfoliates, using a soap with ginger and rose petals bought, I mean, pillaged, from Bed, Bath and Beyond.
      For the swords I used Army Painter (I think it's called armour or gunmetal) as my base colour, with a craft store brass for the sword hilt. Once dry I used Army Painter strong tone to darken it, and then picked out the edges using Citadel Mithril Silver. Glad you noticed that, it made my day. :)

      Delete
  7. Interesting grouping. I am in Keswick and looking to contact gamers in our area. Could you please get in touch? Thank you.

    stephen dot madjanovich at yahoo dot ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephen:
      Good to hear from you. Sent you an email - would love to see you as part of our Barrie group.

      Delete
  8. Great looking leader and champion, full of character and lovely painting.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I like to add a few personality figures to my hordes, just to lend some colour.

      Delete

Blog Archive

Followers